There has been a recent outbreak of meningitis among gay/bisexual men and MSM (men who have sex with men) in the greater Los Angeles area. All men who are sexually active with other men are encouraged to get the meningitis vaccines. Below is more information about the vaccines for USC students.
- For USC students with the USC student Aetna insurance, the meningitis vaccines are covered completely by the Aetna student health insurance, with no copay at the Engemann Student Health Center. **The summer health fee is waived for students on Aetna insurance seeking vaccines at Engemann.**
- Students seeking vaccines at Engemann without the USC student Aetna insurance will have to pay full price for the vaccines upfront and seek reimbursement from their insurance company (if they have insurance). The Menactra meningitis vaccine is $148, and the Meningitis B vaccine is $382 for two required doses.
- For USC students with their own health insurance, they should contact their primary care physicians’ office or consider the two FREE options listed below.
- USC students without any health insurance should consider the two FREE options below.
- APLA Health and Wellness will be offering the vaccine free to gay and bisexual men, starting next week. They are just 15 minutes away on the Expo line. Their number is 323.329.9900. More information is available here: http://www.aplahw.org/
- The Los Angeles LGBT Center is providing free vaccinations, by appointment, at its McDonald/Wright Building at 1625 N. Schrader Blvd in Hollywood. To schedule a vaccination appointment, call 323-993-7500.
Additional sites offering the vaccine are listed on the Los Angeles County health department’s website at:
Read more about the outbreak in the LA Times article below: