As of August 18, 2013, the USC Student Health Insurance Plan will cover certain transgender medical needs; coverage includes clinician visits, medication, surgeries, diagnostic testing for pre-op and more. For more specific health insurance coverage information, please visit Aetna Student Health. For additional information about the transgender health benefits, please email email@example.com.
Medical Services at Engemann Student Health Center
Every transgender and nonbinary person has a different story and may be at a different stage in their transition with different needs and expectations. For that reason, USC Student Health strongly recommends that all patients make an appointment with a primary care clinician with experience in gender-affirming care so that they can get to know you, review your medical history, and work with you to get the assistance that you need. You may schedule an appointment online or call the appointment office. To schedule with Dr. Pinanong, please feel free to email her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Gender-Affirming Care Team at USC Student Health has a special interest and training in transgender-related health care inquiries and referrals:
Health Care Providers
- Debbie Hansen, RN (she/her/hers), care coordination lead & health insurance (direct line: 213-740-2180)
- Trudy Kao, FNP (she/her/hers), transgender medical care specialist
- Dr. Patty Pinanong, MD (she/her/hers), transgender medical care specialist
Mental Health Providers
- Dr. Matthew Brinkley, PsyD, LMFT (he/him/his), Queer & Questioning Support Group facilitator
- Charlie Padow, LCSW (he/him/his), letters for gender-affirming surgery & counseling care coordination
- Sarah Schreiber, LCSW (she/her/hers), letters for gender-affirming surgery & counseling care coordination
- Mary Weber, LMFT (she/her/hers), Gender Spectrum Support Group facilitator
More Information about Medical Services, Counseling Services, and Health Insurance
Please check out USC Student Health’s Transgender Care webpage for more details about medical services (i.e., hormones, surgery, medical team), counseling services (i.e., Counseling and Mental Health team, support groups), and any health insurance questions.
USC Affiliated Physicians (available via referrals from Engemann Student Health Center)
If you are referred to a clinician outside UPC, a visit to a USC affiliated clinician should be covered at 90% as are tests and prescriptions for care not provided at the UPC Engemann Student Health Center. Students must get a referral through USC Student Health for the following specialists:
- Dr. Johanna Olson-Kennedy, Medical Director of The Center for Transyouth Health and Development at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Dr. Marvin Belzer, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Dr. Jonathan Warus, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
Health Care Regardless of Insurance Coverage
The L.A. LGBT Center offers a Trans Health Program with services on a sliding scale. The Transgender Health Program provides comprehensive primary health care as well as trans-specific services such as pap smears for trans men, prostate exams for trans women, hormone-therapy supervision and post-surgical care for those who have undergone sex-reassignment surgery.
In addition, you can contact the following resources:
- St. Johns Transgender Health Clinic
- The LA Gender Center – a source for counseling and medical referral (email@example.com)
USC’s Non-Discrimination Policy
USC’s non-discrimination policy includes gender expression, gender identity, and sexual orientation.